Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Maisy in my mailbox!

So, I've posted before about my love for Lucy Cousins and Maisy, but a couple of months ago my love grew...


J is quite taken with Maisy and her friends, and often incorporates them into his pretend play. Touched by his connection to these characters, I decided to write Ms. Cousins to express our enjoyment and gratitude of her books. They capture J's attention, introduce new vocabulary words, and nudge him forward on his path to reading. Maisy and her friends do things together that are so applicable to a toddler's life and yet, at the same time, introduce them to new ideas.


Well, the lovely Lucy Cousins responded to my letter! This card arrived in our mailbox one day before Christmas with no return address and postage stamps from the UK! I confess I was giddy when I realized what it was. I'm grateful that my letter meant something to her and that she took the time to write a few kind words to me. And, drawing J his own personal little Maisy waving hello - how amazing is that?!?
I highly recommend writing to an author or illustrator who is meaningful to you. Whether you receieve a response or not, it feels good to take a moment and let someone know that you appreciate their work.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

that is so cool! How great that she did that. Cute! We love Maisy at our house too :) hmmm, maybe we should write some authors we love!

Dianna S said...

Woah, that's so cool! And what a treasure the personal drawing is. I feel a letter to Mo Willems coming on...

Jenni said...

Amazing! You are a great role model for writing to authors--I think this is the second response I've read about on your blog. I'll try to follow your example. :)

Cat Herself said...

Very cool! You can build a neat collection for J with this!